Wednesday 7 May 2014

Meet the delegation - Jo Hobbs

Hi there!

My name is Jo and I am so excited about the WAGGGS World Conference in Hong Kong.

Jo (third from left, back row) with the Girlguiding UK team at the European Conference 2013

I am Director of Guiding Services at Girlguiding UK, leading the staff team at Headquarters supporting our volunteers to deliver great guiding to girls and young women across the UK. I work closely with Caroline, our International Commissioner, to ensure that members of Girlguiding UK understand about WAGGGS and the international dimension of guiding, as well as being responsible for our international projects such as the Big Brownie Birthday Eurohop and GOLD.

As well as being a member of staff, I am a volunteer with Girlguiding UK.  I used to run a Senior Section Unit, but with the day job I needed to step back and now support my local area, Girlguiding London South West, when I can.

I was lucky enough to be part of the delegation to the last WAGGGS Europe Conference, which was a great opportunity to really get stuck in top all things WAGGGS, share our successes and learning with other countries and learn about guiding in other countries.  Girlguiding UK hosted the last World Conference in 2011 and I was able to attend for a few days to help out the support team who made the event happen.

The World Conference this year is a great opportunity for us to help shape the future of WAGGGS, celebrate the successes of the Stop The Violence campaign, which Girlguiding UK has supported (read our Care vs Control research report), and to work together on spreading the word about Free Being Me, a new WAGGGS project in partnership with the global Dove Self-Esteem Project. Girlguiding UK has been championing body confidence for many years and so is delighted to be one of the first WAGGGS MOs engaged in this project, thanks to the support of Dove UK.

I'm also really excited to be returning to Hong Kong, a place I love. Whilst I'm looking forward to exploring the local sites and culture, the added excitement is the opportunity to meet local guides and volunteers and find out about their experience of guiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment