Wednesday 28 May 2014

Meet the delegation - Catherine Irwin


As a County Commissioner in Ulster coming to the end of my 5-year term, I was looking for a new challenge within Girlguiding. And so I decided to apply to be part of the Girlguiding UK delegation to the World Conference in Hong Kong. I was so thrilled to be selected, I think that I cheered out loud when I received the phone call!
My most important role within Guiding is as a Guide and Senior Section leader for a rural unit in Monea, County Fermanagh. The girls in my unit are very excited about my wonderful opportunity, and as we were using the “World Guiding goes to Hong Kong” pack this year, it held an additional significance. I’m looking forward to sharing my experiences with them and within my region when I return.
Currently within guiding I am  chairperson for the leadership team on the Ulster International camp, Xplore14 which is planned for this coming summer.  I am working with a fantastic Ulster team, and we are really looking forward to hosting guides from all over the world.  This is a tremendous challenge as  it will be the first time that we have held such an event outside our TAC, Lorne.  But that's what guiding is all about - growing through challenge and opportunity!
In preparation for both the application and now for the Conference, it has been really interesting and invigorating to get back to our roots of Guiding and be part of helping form the future of the wider Guiding family, WAGGGS. It’s just amazing to be part of such a large International organisation for girls and young women!
Outside of my busy Guiding life, I do have a “day job”. My background is in Electrical Engineering and I work for the DuPont company as the Engineering and Research Technology manager for Europe, Middle East and Africa. In this job I travel extensively throughout Europe and the US predominantly, and I am used to working within different cultures. However, I have never travelled within Asia, or worked with such a culturally diverse group as will be at the World Conference, so that will be something to look forward to. Listening to other delegation members who have attended World Conference before, I don’t think it is possible to be totally prepared for the entire experience, though!  I am certain that I will return enriched, stimulated and with a whole new list of Guiding friends.  Thankyou GirlguidingUK for this fantastic opportunity!

Picture below: winner of the Xplore14 International Camp badge design competition, Senior section member Jade Ballentine, Enniskillen, accompanied by Carole Graham, Ulster Chief Commissioner (left) and Catherine Irwin(right). 




No comments:

Post a Comment